HANDICAPPING RULES (modified
25/04/12, 16/10/16, 1/01/17 and 18/10/20)
(modified 25/04/12, 16/10/16, 1/01/17 and 18/10/20)
1. All SMERGS who win on a 9 hole event lose a shot;
2. Any SMERG who
wins overall an 18 hole event loses 2 shots. Winners front 9 and back 9
loses one shot; maximum loss is 2 shots.
maximum loss is 2 shots.
16/10/16 Following Rick B's motion and Phil S's amendment there was general agreement this morning (after of course taking account of proxy votes) that players with handicaps above 36 may lose two shots when a one shot loss would normally apply, provided the player requests it.
3. If you don't turn
up for FOUR weeks you lose ONE shot regardless of whether you
missed a 9 hole or 18 hole or a Tour, (once you lose the shot the counter goes
back to zero.) WEEKS is the key word here NOT events!! Otherwise this penalises SMERGS who go on holidays over Xmas New Year as there are lots of games in very
few weeks. EXCEPT that from 1/01/17, overseas resident members will lose a shot every 6 weeks.
EXCEPT that from 1/01/17,
overseas resident members will lose a shot every 6 weeks.
4. All events, including majors, will be played to SMERGS handicaps. The TD may decide to increase all handicaps for a major if they are all at a low level, but the TD will maintain the relativity between individual handicaps. Club handicaps are not relevant to SMERGS play.
5. The balls – on a normal Sunday winner takes all and on Tournament days the tournament director decides the prizes for his tournament.
6. When a regular player (say, 12 or more games in a year) reaches zero handicap, all handicaps will be adjusted upwards by 10 strokes.
7. 18/10/20 It was generally agreed over coffee that, for a resident SMERG to be eligible for honours at a major, he must play at least occasionally on normal Sunday mornings. "Occasionally" must surely mean more than once every couple of months unless there is a good reason
8. No other rules apply as the tradition continues...
BLACK TEE RULE for
Tee rule that applies to all NGC events will apply to all SMERGS events at NGC.
The current rule is that any golfer 65 years old and over may choose to play off the Black Tees on any of the applicable holes, at the cost of one (1) stroke for that hole.
The relevant holes on which NGC has Black Tees are: 2, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16 & 18.
This choice for eligible golfers applies to all competitions.