HANDICAPPING RULES (modified 25/04/12, 16/10/16 and 1/01/17)
(modified 25/04/12, 16/10/16 and 1/01/17)
1. All SMERGS who win on a 9 hole event lose a shot;
2. Any SMERG who
wins overall an 18 hole event loses 2 shots. Winners front 9 and back 9 loses one shot; maximum loss is 2 shots.
maximum loss is 2 shots.
16/10/16 Following Rick B's motion and Phil S's amendment there was general agreement this morning (after of course taking account of proxy votes) that players with handicaps above 36 may lose two shots when a one shot loss would normally apply, provided the player requests it.
3. If you don't turn
up for FOUR weeks you lose ONE shot regardless of whether you
missed a 9 hole or 18 hole or a Tour, (once you lose the shot the counter goes
back to zero.) WEEKS is the key word here NOT events!! Otherwise this penalises SMERGS who go on holidays over Xmas New Year as there are lots of games in very
few weeks. EXCEPT that from 1/01/17, overseas resident members will lose a shot every 6 weeks.
EXCEPT that from 1/01/17,
overseas resident members will lose a shot every 6 weeks.
4. All events, including majors, will be played to SMERGS handicaps. The TD may decide to increase all handicaps for a major if they are all at a low level, but the TD will maintain the relativity between individual handicaps. Club handicaps are not relevant to SMERGS play.
5. The balls – on a normal Sunday winner takes all and on Tournament days the tournament director decides the prizes for his tournament…
6. When a regular player (say, 12 or more games in a year) reaches zero handicap, all handicaps will be adjusted upwards by 10 strokes.
7. No other rules apply as the tradition continues...
BLACK TEE RULE for "older" SMERGS (introduced 12/04/09)
The Black Tee rule that applies to all NGC events will apply to all SMERGS events at NGC. The current rule is:
Any golfer who meets both of the following criteria:
1. 65 years old and over; and
2. plays off a handicap of 25 or more
may choose to play off the Black Tees on any of the applicable holes, at the cost of one (1) stroke per hole.
The relevant holes on which NGC has Black Tees are: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 16th.
This choice to eligible golfers applies to all competitions.